Sunday, November 16, 2014

Another Trip To The Vet

Last time I took rowdy to the vet, he was having some problems and not feeling well.  So more recently, I have been more in tuned with the way he has been acting or behaving.  He had been showing some signs of a possible problem that I thought might been linked to heartworms. 

Since his last vet visit, he mostly regained his ornery self and was back to the playful dog he was before he got sick, but a couple of times he had got worn out too soon after just a little exercise, by either lying down frequently or excessive panting.  Also he had a skin rash that looked like it could have been mange or ringworm and I wanted to get it checked out.

So, I took him to the vet yesterday and got him checked out.  The vet thought the rash was probably fleas and that he gnawed the spots raw.  I had been treating him for fleas and would check him for them every time I caught him gnawing on himself, but never spotted a flea till the other day.  While he was on my lap and on his back getting a tummy rub, I spotted one flea which quickly disappeared into his fur before I could get it.  It was almost time for his monthly treatment, so I gave it to him the next day.  By the time I got him to the vet, some hair had already started growing back in the spots and it looked like they were healing up.

As for the heartworms, he tested negative, which was a relief.  The vet thought his problems was from a lack of exercise, as I have not been able to take him out for walks very much recently.  He has also gained a few pounds, even though his appetite has decreased some.  Now that I know his heart is okay and strong, I will try to take him for more walks, weather permitting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment