Monday, April 4, 2011

The Chase Is On

The last couple of weeks I have been letting Rowdy go from the house to the car and car to the shop and back again, without using a leash.  For the most part he has been doing pretty good at staying with me and going where I go.  Well today, as we were getting ready to leave the shop, the L.S. took off around to the back of the shop instead of getting in the car.  I took off after him and when he saw me he took off running, thinking we were just playing.  Well I wasn't and I was also afraid he would run across the busy street and get run over.  I hollered at him and he came back close to me, but still wanted to play.  I just commanded him to come to me, which he did but cowed down when I caught him.  I was mad enough to spank his little behind, but couldn't because I didn't want him to start running away when called for fear of being punished, so I just grabbed him up and carried him to the car!

This shows you that,for anyone who is training their dog, to never call them to you to punish them!  Always go to them to scold them or give them punishment for doing something wrong.  If you call them to you to punish them, they will learn that being called will result in punishment and will never come to you anymore!  I will call Rowdy to me in many different tones of voice from pleasant to angry, but I always pet him when he comes to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment