Friday, September 9, 2016

The Chirping Monster

It's been a while since I posted last.  I've either been way too busy this summer working long hours on the farm, or too tired to write posts when I get home, even though several things happened this summer worth posting.

However, this happened last night.  It was around 3 AM this morning and Rowdy was at the side of the bed and leaning up on the bed, licking at my face and trying to get may attention.  He succeeded in waking me up and I wondered what was bothering him.  He gets scared by the thunderstorms and we had one that evening but all was quiet now, but he still jumped up on the bed.  He is not supposed to be on the bed, except when there is a storm and I put a blanket for him to lay on.  Well, I made him get down, but he went to the other side of the bed and attempted to get up again.  He did this a third time and I was confused as to why he was acting this way, but then I heard it.......Chirp! 

Rowdy was beside himself panting, shaking and whining to get up on the bed and for me to protect him from the Chirping Monster.  A minute later and ....Chirp!...again.  I quickly figured out what it was and Rowdy has been scared by it before.   The smoke detector battery was low and chirping about once a minute. 

I sat up on the side of the bed and Rowdy jumped up on my leg with his front paws, just shaking and shivering.  I asked him in a calm tone, "Is it gonna get you?"  He looked up at me for help and to save him, so I got up and pulled the detector down and pulled the batteries out, so it wouldn't make any more noise.  Rowdy calmed down soon and everything was back to normal until I heard a distant boom-bu-boom.  Another thunderstorm was heading our way but it didn't seem to bother Rowdy this time, not like the Chirping Monster, or so I thought. 

The next morning when I woke up, Rowdy must have been still bothered, either from residuals from the chirping, or the thunderstorm, because sometime when I was asleep, he managed to get up on the bed again down by my feet. I ordered him off the bed and got up for the day.  I put new batteries in the detector, hung it back up and the world was back to normal, at least for a while anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment